Running their game plan to perfection, a desert racing ‘dream team’ of Las Vegas’ Rob MacCachren, San Diego’s Andy McMillin and Jason Voss, of Gilroy, Calif. rolled like Rockstars, overcoming a brutally-rugged 1,275-mile course and over 200 challenge, driving to the overall and SCORE Trophy Truck victory Friday at the 47th annual Tecate SCORE Baja 1000.
When the results became official after review of the data loggers in each finishing vehicle by SCORE officials, the MacCachren/McMillin/Voss trio had rocketed to a memorable race down Mexico’s Baja California peninsula. The talented trio finished the mentally-draining, physically grueling race from Ensenada to La Paz in 22 hours, 31 minutes and 27 seconds while averaging an impressive 56.64 miles per hour in the No. 11 Rockstar Energy MacCachren Motorsports Ford F-150. Finishing second overall and second in SCORE Trophy Truck to the desert dream team was the third-generation desert racing brother duo of Luke McMillin, El Cajon, Calif. and Dan McMillin, La Mesa, Calif. with a time of 23:00:08 (55.56mph) in their new No. 83 Mark Racing Ford F-150.
Completing the SCORE Trophy Truck podium and finishing third overall was the team of Cameron Steele, San Clemente, Calif./Pat Dean, Las Vegas, who covered the distance in 23:41:18 at an average speed of 54.29mph in the No. 16 Monster Energy Desert Assassins Chevy Silverado.
Planned to precise detail, MacCachren started the race and drove to race mile 472 where A. McMillin took over for the next 450 miles to race mile 922. Voss took the wheel of the No. 11 Ford F-150 from there to the finish line, a total of 353 race miles. It was the seventh class win and second overall for MacCachren, the fourth overall and fourth class win for A. McMillin, and first for Voss who has won two domestic desert races this year and was second in June’s 46th Tecate SCORE Baja 500.
The win also moved MacCachren into the all-time career leader SCORE Trophy Truck race wins with 12 while McMillin picked up his seventh career SCORE Trophy Truck race win and and Voss his first.
MacCachren, whose last win in this race was in the 2007 with Mark Post in the 40th anniversary race of this great international race, commented afterwards, “Andy and I drove last year's Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 together and we really wanted to win that race but some things didn't quite go our way so I wanted Andy to come back and run with me again this year.
I had a conflict earlier in the season so I had Andy drive my truck and he won which got us in the points lead. Andy and I were going to split it up this year but when we started hearing about all the devastation down here from the hurricane I woke up early one morning and the light bulb went off that we needed three drivers.”
“I gave Jason (Voss) a call and asked him to give some thought to it. He called me back the next morning and was all in. To win the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 on a peninsula run takes a lot of planning and a lot of people. We had over 100 people down here supporting us and 60 of them were south of Ensenada on Monday. Starting the race really took the pressure off me because I just needed to get the truck down the trail in a timely fashion. It really paid off.
SCORE Int news release. Image credits Rob MacCachren FB
Annual Tecate SCORE Baja 1000, Ensenada to La Paz Peninsula Run Baja California, Mexico, Schedule of Events, All times PST (Updated 6th November 2014)
Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9am - 5pm
Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9am - 5pm
- Racer Registration Red Room, Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center 10am - 6pm
- Satellite Tracking Install & Parking lot at beach approximately 1.1 miles south SCORE Chassis Tagging of start line past cement plant. 1pm - 5pm
- Media Registration Red Room, Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center 7pm - midnight
- Monster Energy SCORE Kick-off Party - Monster Energy VIP area
- Racer Registration Red Room, Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center 9am - 5pm
- Media Registration Red Room, Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center 10am - 5pm
- Contingency Row Blvd. Costero, next to Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center 10am - 6pm
- Tech Inspection Blvd. Las Dunas, next to Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center 11:30am
SCORE Media Conf. Cathedral Room, Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center 5:30pm
- 6:15pm Pilot Safety Conference Conference call conducted by Ivor Shier
- 7pm Mandatory Sportsman Cathedral Room, Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center Safety Meeting 7pm
- 7pm Mandatory Racer Mtg. Cathedral Room, Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center
- 7pm - Midnight Monster Energy Papas Y Beer SCORE Street Party - Avenida Ruiz